Do any of these symptoms sound familiar?
- My thoughts revolve around food.
- I have no appetite.
- I have difficulty chewing and swallowing.
- I have lost weight and muscle tone.
- I feel weak and am often ill.
- I have more hair loss than usual.
- I have brittle nails.
Good to know
In cases of malnutrition or malnourishment, we can also prevent secondary illnesses. These include disorders of wound healing, restricted movement as a result of muscle wasting, hair loss, decreased productivity and cardiac arrhythmias.
We cover the following causes of undernutrition
- Being underweight
- Anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Macronutrient deficiencies, e.g. protein
- Micronutrient deficiencies, e.g. iron
- Nutritional Risk Score >3
- Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
- Chewing and swallowing issues